Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Homemade Skirt

I have a skirt that I love from Banana Republic, it fits perfectly, it's a nice gray color, goes with everything. I wish I had bought it in every color last year. Since I didn't, I decided it can't be that hard to make it. It is one piece and has an elastic waistband. So I googled free patterns online and couldn't find one I liked, or understood. As I usually do with knitting, I just made my own pattern. 

I first measured my waist and then multiplied it by 1.5. 
I then measured the length I wanted, from my waist to just above the knee. I added 2.5 inches to that for the top elastic. 
I used a 1 inch elastic and measured my waist size minus one inch. 
I bought 1 yard of fabric, in a nice flower pattern. 

I cut 2 equal size pieces and sewed them together length wise except for the top 2.5 inches. I then pressed the bottom hem about  a half inch. After ironing, I sewed the bottom hem together. I then folded the top edge down one inch pressed and then one more inch and pressed it again. I then sewed the top along the hem edge for the casing for the elastic. I left 2-3 inches open to thread the elastic. I used a safety pin to thread the elastic threw the seam. Then, sew the two ends of elastic together and sew up the end of the casing. 











1 comment: